Residential Care Placement Checklist
The following checklist may help you to decide which residential care home to choose.
- Does the overall atmosphere appear friendly, safe and comfortable ?
- Does it smell okay ?
- Does it seem to be a comfortable temperature for all residents ?
- Do the residents seem content ?
- Do the residents seem happy with the way staff address them ?
- Are residents treated with respect as well as in a friendly manner ?
- Does there seem to be enough staff ?
- Do the staff seem caring and attentive towards residents ?
- Are there other people with similar care needs to yours ?
- Will it be easy to see your family and friends ?
- Is it easy to get to local shops, club, church or other places and events ?
- Is there adequate transport to help you get where you want to go ?
- Can someone in a wheelchair move around easily ?
- Is access difficult and safety an issue because there is more than one floor ?
- Are there call-bells in the bedrooms, bathrooms and communal areas ?
- Are rooms, stairs and corridors suitably lit ?
- Is there a safe garden that residents can use ?
- Are there smoke detectors and fire extinguishers ?
- Are there security arrangements ?
- Is the garden accessible to wheelchairs ?
- Bedrooms - Can you have a single room if you want one ?
- Are there rooms with their own bathroom and toilet en-suite ?
- If you have to share a room can you meet the other person beforehand ?
- Can you have a different room if you dont get on with the person ?
- Are there screens in shared rooms to give privacy ?
- Can you bring some of your own furniture and belongings ?
- Can you lock your cupboard ?
- Can you have your own TV in your room ?
- Can you have a telephone installed in your room ?
- Can you have air-conditioning installed ?
Bathroom / Toilets
- Are toilets, baths and showers easy and private for residents to use ?
- Is there a toilet within easy reach of your bedroom ?
- Are there toilets within easy reach of all the communal rooms ?
- Is the furniture in the communal rooms arranged in a comfortable way ?
- Is there a choice of lounges ?
- Is there more than one TV room ?
- Is there a quiet room with no TV ?
- Are there non-smoking rooms ?
- Are you comfortable with the house rules (eg. about smoking or pets) ?
- Can you influence what happens in the aged care home ?
- Is there an independent Residentsand Relatives group ?
- Would there be a member of staff to take a special interest in your welfare ?
- Can you get up and go to bed when you want to ?
- Will your room be cleaned at least once a week ?
- Will your bed be made for you ?
- Can you help arround the aged care home if you want to ?
- Is it possible to buy small items in the aged care home ?
- Are daily papers and mail delivered ?
Language and Culture
- Is there a staff member who can speak your language ?
- Is there a policy of culturally appropriate care ?
- Have the staff received cross cultural training ?
- Is there a secure place where personal items and valuables can be kept ?
- Does the home take responsibility for insuring your possessions ?
- Can you have input to menus ?
- Do the menus include foods which you like ?
- Do the menus give you a choice of dishes ?
- Do the menus seem to you to be balanced and nutritious ?
- Can special diets be catered for ?
- Can you have/make a snack when ever you want ?
- Is it possible to have meals other than at set times ?
- Can you have meals in your rooms ?
- Are social events and outings organised frequently ?
- Will there be activities which interest you ?
- Will you be able to practice your own religion ?
- Are there regular visits by a practitioner from your religion ?
- Can you have a telephone in your room ?
- Is there a telephone without people overhearing what you are saying ?
- Is there a telephone you can use which meets any special requirements ?
- Can family and friends visit you without restriction ?
- Are there places where you can spend time in private with your guests ?
- Can visitors stay for a meal or even overnight ?
- Can you make/offer your guests a drink or snack ?
- Can you have a say in the way you are looked after/helped ?
- Is the personal care you need available ?
- Can relatives or friends help you with personal care if you want them to ?
- Does a hairdresser visit the aged care home ?
- Will your health care needs be met ?
- Can you keep the same doctor you have now ?
- Will you have access to a doctor at all times if required ?
- Is there a local doctor who accepts patients from the home ?
- Does a doctor visit the aged care home regularly ?
- Do other other health professionals visit the aged care home ?
- If your care needs change can you continue to live at the home ?
How the Aged Care Home is Managed ?
- Can you have a financial report for the aged care home ?
- Who runs the aged care home ?
- Are they the owner or the manager ?
- How long have they been running the aged care home ?
- Where can they be contacted ?
- How many residents are there ?
- How many care staff are on duty morning, afternoon, evening, at night ?
- Are night staff awake or on call ?
- What qualifications do the management and staff have achieved ?
- What ongoing training do management and staff receive ?
- Is the aged care home registered/certified/accredited ?
Terms and Conditions
- What would be covered in your agreement ?
- What are the facility guidelines, fees and costs ?
- What does the daily fee cover ?
- What services are included in your payment ?
- What extra services do you pay for ?
- When is the RAD payable ?
- How much is the RAD ?
- Are standard resident fees payable in advance or arrears ?
- Are standard resident fees payable monthly
- What happens if you run out of funds ?
- How long a trial period of respite care can you have ?
- What notice must be given if you want to leave the aged care home ?
- In what circumstances might a resident be asked to leave ?